Mother of the Bride Spot

Random thoughts on being a Mother of the Bride...although since we are now past The Wedding, perhaps this would be better titled Random Thoughts On Life In General...

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Airports

Did you know that Pepsi has the soda concession in Terminal 5 (the international terminal) at O'Hare? I was very disappointed to learn that I couldn't have my beloved Diet Coke.

Also, truth be known, I think it is a rather ratty terminal to welcome international visitors. What's really weird is that it is the only terminal in which the restaurant (such as it is) is OUTSIDE security -- so once you are in, about all you can get is a soggy sandwich -- and said Pepsi. My friend Linda would be happy.....

But I digress. I really wanted to talk about CDG -- Charles DeGaulle.

It is HUGE.

It is COLD.

It is EXPENSIVE.

Bob and I had an 8 hour (EIGHT HOUR!!) layover there on our way from America to Africa. We landed in 2F and had to go to 2E. Or was it the other way around? I can't remember. In any case, one would think that the two terminals would be cheek by jowl. Nope. Not. They are miles apart -- and depending on which gate you are going to (which they will let you know oh, maybe 20 minutes before your flight is due to leave) you may have to take a tram.

Make sure you don't have any less than at least two hours between flights -- or you are an olympic sprinter.

During our 8 hour layover, we bought a sandwich (which we split), a cappucino for me, and a coke for him -- yes, we left the Pepsi consignment behind, though Air France also has it. It cost 11.50 EUROS. At the current exchange rate of about 1.35, that is equivalent to $15.50!

For a not so good and rather puny lunch. Sigh.

I suppose it is right up there in line with the Hermes scarf I didn't get, or the Cartier watch I also declined.

But now I know why French women aren't fat. They hang out at the airport, run between terminals, and don't eat.

2 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, Blogger RCO said...

Ah, yes...the joys of travel. Jan you do have a great sense of humor and perspective and, of course, you express both so well. :o)

When are the pictures going to be posted? ;o)

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jan,
Really enjoy your blog, found by (happy) accident.
I have to tell you, all European airports are like that, horrendously expensive and entirely soulless places. My experience of airports in four states in the US of A is much the same. They are places to be survived rather than enjoyed ;-)
Looking forward to hearing more about Tim's adventures
Brynna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home