Mother of the Bride Spot

Random thoughts on being a Mother of the Bride...although since we are now past The Wedding, perhaps this would be better titled Random Thoughts On Life In General...

Monday, July 25, 2005

Engagement Party!

Bob and I kissed Tim goodbye and sent him off to Ireland for a month to do his psych practicum, then headed on down to Indianapolis for an engagement/graduation party for Tobi & The Beamer.

First of all, Indianapolis is lush and green. Chicagoland is barren and brown. They have had RAIN. WE have had three minor sprinkles. They even had a bit of rain as we were driving into the city. That is SO not fair!

Chris has two older sisters -- Missy lives in Dayton and has a precious two year old daughter. Steph lives just a few miles from Chris and has an adorable 5 year old son who is going to be just about the cutest ringbearer you would ever want to see! The purpose of the party was so that Chris could introduce Torrey (and us) to his extended family -- the aunts, uncles, some cousins, and family friends. Chris' mom, Judy, was one of nine kids -- she was number 4 -- so there were plenty of aunts and uncles to be introduced. It was so much fun meeting everyone, but a bit frustrating that we really didn't have time to talk at length to each one and get to know them better.

Since Chuck and Judy have both gone on to be with the Lord -- Chuck 10 years ago; Judy just two years ago -- family is even more important. Planning a wedding without being able to share it with mom and dad is incredibly difficult, and Chris feels their loss keenly. Torrey too is grieving the loss of in-laws that she will never know. So meeting 4 of Judy's sisters and 2 of her brothers, plus one of Chuck's brothers was especially poignant.

Missy and Steph are the consummate hostesses. The edibles were incredible. I can eat sushi any time of the day or night! As my family knows, I don't cook. I apply heat to food, and the thought of entertaining sends me into a tailspin for weeks. Put me in front of 200 people to speak, and I'm as happy as can be. Announce that I have to make dinner for eight, and I break out in hives. Pizza, anyone?

I was musing about the whole idea of family as we were driving home yesterday after church. Psalm 127:3 says "Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him." This verse is used frequently at baby dedications and baptisms. But how many times do we think of this verse in relationship to our ADULT children? I adore babies and little kids -- and middle size kids -- and teenage kids....but oh, how I enjoy my adult children. Parenting adult children can sometimes be trickier than parenting little ones. But oh, what a joy and delight to just be able to sit and have good conversation with them! And as our children get married and have children of their own, that enlarges our family -- there is nothing like it.

I love Proverbs 23:24-25: "The father of godly children has cause for joy. What a pleasure it is to have wise children. So give your parents joy! May she who gave you birth be happy."

Bob and I have great cause for joy -- and we are very happy. I know Chuck and Judy would say the same about their three children. How blessed we all are!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home