Mother of the Bride Spot

Random thoughts on being a Mother of the Bride...although since we are now past The Wedding, perhaps this would be better titled Random Thoughts On Life In General...

Monday, July 04, 2005

Fourth of July

The engaged couple are visiting here for the Fourth of July. It's been fun to introduce Chris to a Chicago-type Fourth....the Taste of Chicago in the city, followed by the most amazing fireworks on Lake Michigan, followed by trying to navigate to the train station with a million others. It's an experienced not to be missed! Today will be the annual Wheaton parade, followed by a backyard barbeque (if it doesn't rain). We are in the middle of a drought, and it picks TODAY to rain?

Torrey was actually due on the Fourth, so though she finally made an appearance on the 19th, we often celebrate her birthday today, especially now that she lives 200 miles away. I think I might be the only woman who, upon hearing the 1812 Overture, thinks of birth. Yup -- that was the music that was playing the moment she was born.....and she's been a firecracker ever since!

We did get some things done wedding-wise while they were here, but not nearly enough. Too many other things going on. What's been a real treat is that the two of them invited me to go with them to register -- oh, what fun that has been! We've been to Marshall Field's and Bed, Bath and Beyond. We aren't done -- hope I get to join them on another sojourn into the land of "stuff."

Yesterday I mentioned that the wedding day belongs to the bride, the groom, and the Father of the Bride. (I did notice at least one book for the FOB on Amazon.com -- but I think it was a mini-"Idiot's Guide" type of thing. In any case, continuing to think about it -- who gets to walk the bride down the aisle? Who gets to give her away -- or "present" her (in current lingo)? Who gets to welcome everyone to the reception and thank them for coming? And, of course, there is the Father-Daughter Dance. Looking through a Bride's magazine the other day, I discovered there are lists of titles for the couple's first dance, and lists of titles for the Father-Daughter dance -- but none for a Mother-Son dance! So even when I get to be the MOG (our final hurrah someday), fading into the background on the big day is what we do best.

I'm glad Bob gets to do all this, and I'm sure Torrey (and most other brides) wouldn't have it any other way.

It's been SO fun having them home. Last night after getting home around 12:45 am, Torrey, Chris and I stayed up until the wee smalls, laughing, talking, and telling jokes.

Have I mentioned how excited I am that they are getting married? I couldn't have picked anyone better for my daughter had I been in charge of the picking!

Off to the parade! Happy Fourth!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home