Mother of the Bride Spot

Random thoughts on being a Mother of the Bride...although since we are now past The Wedding, perhaps this would be better titled Random Thoughts On Life In General...

Saturday, September 29, 2007

The Culturally Savvy Christian

That was the title of the Cultural Impact Committee's first annual forum at College Church which was held last night and this morning. Dick Staub, author of the book by the same name, who has had a nationally syndicated radio talk show which was on the air for 15 years, was the speaker.

I went primarily to support Bob who is the chair of the CIC, and who has been sweating this forum (how was Dick as a speaker? Would people actually come? How much advertising should we do?) for months now.

From the first moment, I was totally engaged. First of all, Dick is a wonderful speaker. Secondly, he understands popular culture and is committed helping us understand and engage with it. (He doesn't like the term engagement -- romantic on the one hand, but combative on the other when you think of a "military engagement." Thirdly he's a huge fan of CS Lewis and Tolkein and L'Engle -- and what's not to love about that? Finally, he's a follower of Jesus.

He talked a lot about art and artists -- music, writing, "the arts." Whatever we are doing -- even if we don't have a grain of artistic ability (that would be me), we need to do our best and do it to the glory of God.

We were sitting with our friends Sean and Jenn. Jenn was our wedding coordinator for both Jill & Torrey -- I've mentioned her before. Sean has just started a photography business -- we got a packet of info this week about it. His website is
www.timestandstillstudio.com. You can see some of his other pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/shimmel/. They are absolutely wonderful. So where was he when Torrey got married? Inquiring minds want to know (though he did a wonderful job of editing her wedding video!

I digress. During the forum I was thinking about Sean and this amazing gift God has given him with photography. What a wonderful medium to be an ambassador...

My niece, Liz Anne, is also artistic. She's a wonderful writer and has an amazing way of expressing herself. I'm hoping that if she does end up going to Moody next year that she'll spend lots of time nurturing this ability God has given her....

Check out her blog:
http://www.pathofsprinkles.blogspot.com/.

I told Chris, our pastor of outreach that was moderating the forum that though I didn't have an artistic bone in my body, but I really resonated with all he said. Chris laughed and said that maybe I could be creative in the kitchen. Oh Chris -- I don't cook. I apply microwave to food.

Well, he said, apply that microwave to the glory of God.

Got it!

PS -- Dick's blogsite is
www.dickstaub.com It's a good one! To listen to some of his interviews, they are podcast on www.thekindlings.com. Check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home