Mother of the Bride Spot

Random thoughts on being a Mother of the Bride...although since we are now past The Wedding, perhaps this would be better titled Random Thoughts On Life In General...

Monday, March 20, 2006

Unemployment....

If Bob had worked a typical 9 to 5 and not put in extra time in the evenings and weekends, he would still have a job. What irony that because he did so very well -- he was fired. "Bob, you've done a great job. You've exceeded our expectations. You've given the company a lot to do over then next few months. Therefore, we don't need you any more.....and yes, today is your last day.....clean out your desk."

Friday the 13th will never look the same again. This happened in January to the job he had had for just over one year. He was let go from his previous position at a hospital where he had worked for nearly 20 years to make way for restructuring. This time it was because he worked too well, too efficiently, and gave the company too much to do. They did give him severance....today is the first day of the last paycheck.

So now what? He's put in application to over 40 companies in the Chicagoland area. He's had 8 preliminary interviews and has been on the "short list" for 6 of the companies. He's had second interviews at two of the companies -- both of which decided he wasn't right for the job. His first choice turned him down, choosing someone with more experience in nursing home administration. His second choice turned him down, choosing someone with more experience in running clinics. His third choice turned him down -- he's not sure why. He's still on the short list for his fourth, fifth, and sixth choices. He has a second interview tomorrow....

We talked about him trying to get a part time job, or doing locum tenens as a nursing home administrator -- but he's putting in 40 to 50 hours a week just looking for a job. In typical Bob fashion, he's job hunting the way he tackled his regular employment -- full time and overtime. When would he have time to work?

This morning he went over to the church where they were having a seminar for the unemployed. He's then going to First Transitions to talk to Mary to evaluate the mock video interview he did last week. He's supposed to be home in time to see Jill and Deven when they come over. He's counseling other unemployed people. He's going through at least 100 websites and reviewing them each week, sending in his resume if a new job appears. In short, he's doing everything he can.

Meanwhile, I pray for speaking engagements and am grateful for the programs we already have scheduled.

I'm also trying to figure down how to cut expenses....I read about a woman who decided to "undergo 'an X-treme trial of nonconsumption' -- a year of purchasing only bare necessities." She wrote a book about it which I'd like to get, "Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping." I need to figure out what are "necessities" and what aren't.

I'm afraid my manicures will have to go. After tomorrow's, that is. We've already cut down eating out -- but I think we'll cut it out, not down. This will be a good time to clean out my makeup. I'll just use up all the old stuff. I'm hoping I can get along with all the spring/summer clothes I had last year so I don't have to purchase new.

I'm grateful that The Wedding is over and paid for -- and Tim's schooling is paid for -- our two major expenses for 2005. We don't have any debts except the mortgage....Thank you Lord for that.

Yup, I think I'll have to get that book.

At the library, of course!

1 Comments:

At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jan, may I use this in Cuz Nuz?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home