Mother of the Bride Spot

Random thoughts on being a Mother of the Bride...although since we are now past The Wedding, perhaps this would be better titled Random Thoughts On Life In General...

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Post Office Woes

Last pictures of Tim....




One stuffed suitcase.



At O'Hare.




Bye....



I'd never diss the U S of A Postal System, though on occasion it feels as though things are going by ye old pony express rather than by jet. No -- this has to do with where Tim is in North Africa.
I sent a package two weeks ago. It took about 10 days to 2 weeks to get to him when he was in Fes. So I thought, "any time now and he'll have another jar of peanut butter." Today he told me that it usually takes up to two months for a package to get from the post office in the city where he is to the recipient's hands. Sometimes it might take up to 6 months. Evidently, manana is always manana. I wrote back and wondered if he could go to the post office there once a week or so and see if anything had come....we'll see.

Now I know why they suggested sending it via DHL. I did go to the little place up on Geneva where they send packages via DHL. I was busily filling out the list of stuff in the package for customs while she weighed it.

"That will be $237," she announced.

For peanut butter? I don't think so.

Back to the good old US postal service where it left the US in 4 days, and presumably has arrived in the appropriate city. But will now languish in the post office for another 6 weeks to 6 months.

Oh yes, the other bit of news? About 75% of the packages make it to their intended recipient.

I'm now into flat rate boxes and looking for very small jars of peanut butter.

Box number two is going out tomorrow. I don't think it will make it for Valentine's Day.

Maybe I should shop for his birthday now. It's in August. Maybe, just maybe, the gifts would get there in time.....

1 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jan,
We definitely understand the frustration with mailing overseas! We even tried DHL--using a friend's business account so it wasn't THAT expensive. However, the box sat in the Paris office and was finally shipped back to Oregon! Sue R.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home