Mother of the Bride Spot

Random thoughts on being a Mother of the Bride...although since we are now past The Wedding, perhaps this would be better titled Random Thoughts On Life In General...

Thursday, September 21, 2006

A Plethora of Catalogues

Catalogues. I have catalogues. More than anyone needs -- and they keep on a-coming! I have a hard time throwing them out without reading them though -- I mean, what if there is something important that I MISS?

So the other night I sat down with 50 or so that have been piling up, and glanced through them. I can order an 18,000 piece jigsaw puzzle if I like -- 18,000 pieces? Who on earth has time for that? Bob said to put it on hold for retirement -- IF we are bored then, which he doubts. Remember, I still have 3000+ books to organize and re-read! Or, we can get (from a catalogue?) an electric car that will go from 0 to 60 in 4 seconds. And gets 40 to 80 miles on one charge. AND costs $150,000.

I don't think so.

Anyway, I discovered that the catalogues I really enjoy looking at are those that sell cooking and kitchen stuff. You know, Williams Sonoma or Chef. I wonder if all those nifty gadgets would turn me into a cook. This is especially odd since I don't cook -- I just apply heat to food.

For Bob's birthday I decided to cook dinner -- all the kids were coming home as a surprise for his day. I asked him what was his favorite meal of my vast repertoire and he replied that he liked my pot roast the best. Oh good -- since that's Torrey's, Chris' and Tim's as well.

It just hit me yesterday that the poor man didn't have much choice of meals. My vast repertoire of good meals consist of pot roast and turkey. Since his birthday is in February, and we had just had turkey at Thanksgiving, that narrowed his choices to -- one.

Hmmm.

Remember we didn't have turkey for Christmas last year as -- well, I posted about Lazarus the very dead turkey that did NOT rise to the occasion for Christmas dinner.

But I continue to look at the gadgets and gizmos and think that maybe, just maybe, if I had a silicone spatula or a nifty french press with coffee grinder or a red dutch oven, that I would instantly turn into the new Julia Childs or Rachel Ray.

Just like I think buying Martha Stewart Living will somehow give me the ability to turn empty tin cans into an amazing Christmas wreath.

Sigh.

I don't think so.

2 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Blogger Torrey, half of the MC said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I'm still laughing. This is one of your better blogs. Thanks for making me laugh...and Chris laugh as I read it to him. I love you.

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jan, We have all the gadgets and gizmos (My dh is a great cook!) and I still just apply heat to food! LOL Some of us have to be loved for more than our cooking ability! LOL

Jene' from PAM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home