Mother of the Bride Spot

Random thoughts on being a Mother of the Bride...although since we are now past The Wedding, perhaps this would be better titled Random Thoughts On Life In General...

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy Fourth from Montrose

1. I'm in Montrose. This is the "medium old" cabin in earlier days...



2. It's the Fourth of July.

3. It's been raining off and on all day -- just what we needed after the Floods of '06 here in the Endless Mountains...

4. Rosie, Helen Clare, Liz Anne, The Boyfriend (Lowen), and David all ran in the 5 K which incorporates three major (and I mean MAJOR) hills. In the rain. Rosie & Helen Clare both placed in their age groups. I could have run it too, but I didn't want to get my hair wet. Of course, the race started at 8:00 am, it is now 5:00 pm, and I would still be about 1.6 km out....but I digress.

5. We watched the parade in the rain -- the theme was "Let Freedom Ring" and it was dedicated to the 6 men of Company C from Hallstead (Susquehanna County) who were killed in the Iraqui war. The most poignant part of the parade was the flag covered casket that came by pulled in a cart by two beautiful horses.

6. We perused the 50+ craft tents that had been set up on the Green (um, actually it should have been called the Brown) in the rain.

7. We are reading lots of books, eating lots of carbs, drinking lots of the most delicious spring water and too much coffee. Rick and Susan left yesterday and Lowen had to go back today so we are down to 10 in the cabin.

8. It's wonderful being back here. Nothing seems to have changed except our young adults have become young adults and they are nothing short of amazing. We have many many friends -- so fun to see them in church and visit with them at the parade and during the race.

9. We've been coming to Montrose since 1960 -- 46 years. How can that be?

10. I'm hoping that next year Torrey will have the opportunity to introduce Christopher to the Magic that is Montrose....

11. And on a side note: I've been blogging for a year now -- started on July 3, 2005. I'm up to nearly 6000 visits....I wonder what this next year will bring? This past year has been wonderful...

2 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Blogger RCO said...

Yes, and maybe Jill, Derek and Deven next summer, too?

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you don't mind me checking out your site! I couldn't help myself when I found the link on Helen Clare's blog. At any rate, I'm glad I did because it's full of recollections and musings concerning Montrose--just what I hoped for! It is an incredibly beautiful place, and the rich history that you all share there makes it all the more beautiful.
Incidentally, I believe the first time I ever sat down and talked one-on-one with Liz Anne, she told me about Montrose and commented that, somehow, more than any other place in the world, Montrose felt like home.

I'm glad I got to finally see and experience what she was talking about. There's no question that I'll always remember my [first] short stay. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home