Mother of the Bride Spot

Random thoughts on being a Mother of the Bride...although since we are now past The Wedding, perhaps this would be better titled Random Thoughts On Life In General...

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

On Journaling

A long long time ago -- about 35 years, 11 months and 20 something days, I used to keep a journal. It was an on and off sort of thing -- not terribly regular, but pretty prolific when I did write. I evidently thought I had something terribly important to say (so what else is new, you think). But the journal was for my eyes and my eyes only. I would have been devastated -- mortified -- humiliated beyond words if someone had found and read it. I started when I was about 13 or 14 -- in high school -- and stopped just before I got married.

I tried to journal a few more times after I was married, but I couldn't. I had nothing to say. It was as though whatever had been burning inside of me to be revealed by the written word had been subsumed by living with my dear husband.

In short, I didn't need that outlet any more.

Periodically I tried keeping one of those "Line-a-Day" diaries, but generally they fell by the wayside as well. I currently do have one that has four lines for each day for 10 years. When I got it three years ago a friend posited that I was being awfully optimistic, wasn't I? None the less, I have kept up with it for 2 1/2 years now, and it is interesting to go back and see the entries from 2004 and 2005. Entries to anyone but me are going to be pretty boring: "No new moms today. Got the lecture for Building Bridges pretty much done. HOT! and sticky today. Grilled outside for dinner [though I've never figured out what a grilled outside tastes like]. Had those great steaks from Costco. Tim is definitely the best griller." As I said, boring.

Anyway, Torrey started journaling when she was 14. She has dozens of notebooks filled with her thoughts and feelings. I would often find a pretty notebook and buy it for her to journal in. Made a great anytime present. And there is nothing like starting to write in a nice clean notebook.....

Anyway, remembering my own experience with journaling and marriage, I wondered if she too would lose the need and desire for journaling once she got married -- and suggested that she might. She wasn't so sure.

Last week when I was there and we were in Meijer, I saw the prettiest little notebook -- "Torrey, do you need a new one for journaling?"

She laughed and said she hadn't journaled since she got married.

"You didn't tell me so, you just said might," she said.

What is it about marriage that took away that need?

I guess if nothing else we are saving trees.

Blogging, of course, is totally different matter.

1 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, Blogger Torrey, half of the MC said...

I love you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home