Mother of the Bride Spot

Random thoughts on being a Mother of the Bride...although since we are now past The Wedding, perhaps this would be better titled Random Thoughts On Life In General...

Monday, June 26, 2006

Anniversary Thoughts....

Today is our 36th. It's hard to believe it has been that many years....two years longer than my mother and father -- Daddy went home to be with Jesus when they had been married about 33 1/2 years, but not quite as long as Bob's parents who had been married just over 40 years before Mom died.

Wow -- how can it be possible?

So many years....and they have been GOOD ones! Three wonderful children have come to us and now two super sons in law and one amazing grandbaby. We are truly blessed.

36 years ago our little wedding was planned for 7:00 at my parents' home in Michigan. It was to be an outdoor wedding -- June 26, right? No problem! And since Michigan is on the western edge of the eastern time zone, it would stay light long enough for the festivities. We didn't have much money -- in fact, I figured out at one point that our entire wedding cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $700. I borrowed my wedding dress from my dear friend Marilou -- my roommate in nursing school and college -- the veil from someone else. Flowers were daisies -- the least expensive -- and they matched my dress. We only had a small bouquet for me and a basket for each of my two bridesmaids.

Of course, the day turned out to be cold and rainy. So my mother, bless her heart, moved everything indoors....and it turned out to be lovely.

And it has stuck. 36 years later...

We were married on my grandparents' wedding anniversary. They were married June 26, 1913 -- it was a Wednesday, which was a customary day to be married back then. We chose that day because I am Lao Lao's namesake. They were married 57 years before he died. We are now on year 93....

I can remember meeting someone after we had been married for about 6 months who had been married 5 years, and thinking how LONG that was....

36 years later...

The wedding is not about the event -- it is about the marriage.

It's been good.

Thank you, my sweet Bobbert!!

1 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Blogger CuzNuz Ruth said...

Congratulations!! What a wonderful blog. So many memories which bring more memories. I hadn't realize your mom and dad were married for "such a short time" but just think, give you and Bob a "few" more years and you may set a new record in your family history. Wouldn't that be great?! Blessings on this special day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home