Mother of the Bride Spot

Random thoughts on being a Mother of the Bride...although since we are now past The Wedding, perhaps this would be better titled Random Thoughts On Life In General...

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

And Then Along Came Mary....

One of our garage sale visitors was Mary. Mary was most unique....

In her late 70's, Mary was hunched nearly double with osteoporosis which put her at about 4'8". Her teeth were catawampus in her mouth -- top ones missing and bottom ones grown to fill in the gap. Mary gave new meaning to the phrase, "A bit long in the tooth." But there was determination in her voice and a twinkle in her eye.

"Jan," she announced, "I'm going to order you around. You don't mind, do you?" No, of course not, Mary. I followed her around the garage sale, reaching over the table to pick up items she couldn't get to. She looked around, picked up a few things, and then came back to the table with a glass of lemonade. "I need to sit down."

Chris promptly got up out of his chair where he was sitting next to Torrey. I was afraid if she sat in the folding lawn chair we'd never get her out....

"I've never had refreshments at a garage sale before," she announced. "This is very nice. Would you go get me that bear over there?" I sprang to. Meanwhile, Torrey started chatting with her as we began to total up her purchases. 6 magnets for a nickel each. I'd thrown in the placemat they had been on. A couple of Beanie Babies. A lone saucer. An old chess game. A couple of other things, including a very nice bear from Land's End that Torrey didn't want any more.

She took a piece of paper and wrote down each of her purchases, along with our name and address. We came at a good price of $6 for everything. "I have to write everything down so I know where my money is going," she announced. "My, but this is good lemonade. I have a resin turtle in my yard and I'm trying to figure out how to put a hat on it. I'm thinking the hat on this bear might be just the thing, but I hate to take it apart."

I left to help someone else, and she and Torrey had the best time chatting. Torrey has an amazing affinity for the elderly -- in her junior year at Taylor she did a brief internship at the DuPage Convalescent Center. The elderly loved her and she loved them....

In fact, it reminded Torrey that there was more to social work than just troubled elementary children...perhaps, just perhaps, she might think about switching over to working in an assisted living facility or nursing home...or even home care. Something to ponder this summer.

We helped Mary out of the chair eventually, and into the car which was a bit long in the tooth itself. Chris put her newfound treasures into the trunk that was completely filled with junk. So was the inside of the car. There was just enough room for Mary to sit on the brown paper sack in the driver's seat and put her large tote bag next to her.

I can imagine what her house looks like.

I do think she needs a social worker.

Torrey?

1 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Blogger Joan Wheal Blank said...

Jan ~ thought of you immediately when I saw the news this morning about the Taylor crash victim mix-up...
Can you imagine? I can't....
Joan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home