Mother of the Bride Spot

Random thoughts on being a Mother of the Bride...although since we are now past The Wedding, perhaps this would be better titled Random Thoughts On Life In General...

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Of Minarets and Mosques

You can't visit Morocco and not see the mosques everywhere....they are THE dominant force on the architectural scene. The call to prayer -- five times a day -- is pretty dominant too.



This is a view from a hotel on a hill overlooking Fes -- specifically the medina.

I think the thing that was so surprising was that in the entire 10 days we were there, I didn't see a single person praying (er -- that is -- other than us and those we were with). I mean, I expected that when the call to prayer came, we'd see men whipping out their carpets and kneeling -- but no -- nothing. Now, I admit, I wasn't up to see what was happening at the 5:23 am call -- but there were four other times when we were in Newville, or in the medina, or in the big square in Marrakech, and no praying -- at least as far as we could tell, was going on.




I guess I was a bit disappointed. Even in our hotel in Marrakech there were arrows pointing east so one would know which direction to kneel. And we were there on Friday -- so sat at a cafe facing the big mosque to see the faithful stream into it. It holds, I understand, about 20,000 people. I would say it was less of a stream and more of a trickle -- thought to be fair, and in the interest of complete disclosure, there was another side to the mosque -- maybe more were streaming in that side.



The faithful pouring into the mosque at 12:37 pm, Friday afternoon.




In fact, as I think about it, I only saw one man carrying his mat to worship. That was on Friday on his way to the mosque. No one else took his own rug. I did see some rather nice ones for sale, however, in the souks in Marrakech.



So my question is -- where are all the faithful, and when/where are they praying?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home