Mother of the Bride Spot

Random thoughts on being a Mother of the Bride...although since we are now past The Wedding, perhaps this would be better titled Random Thoughts On Life In General...

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Quintessential Torrey Beth


She was calm -- serene -- and oh, so very happy! Chris got his first glimpse of Torrey in her wedding gown as she walked down the aisle toward him -- and him alone -- a couple of hours before the wedding, and before we started pictures. Jenn promised to beat everyone off with a stick that even TRIED to peek through the windows around the sanctuary....

Even seeing her ahead of time, I'm not sure it was any less amazing when she came down the aisle on her daddy's arm to Trumpet Voluntary. Eyes only for Chris, she literally radiated!

Chris had his turn walking down the aisle to "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" just before I came down. He carried a vase of two perfect roses to place on the table by the unity candles in loving memory of his parents.

Bob and I both gave her away -- when she got to the front of the church, I stood with her and when Uncle Tim asked, "who gives this woman," in unison, we said "we do." Then when I kissed her and Christopher, somehow I knocked her veil off. "Just leave it" she said, so I put it in the pew with me.

The readings were great -- three scripture from Song of Songs, Ephesians, and I Corinthias 13, which were read by Bob, alternating with two readings (one by CS Lewis, and one by that most famous writer, Anonymous) done by her college friend, Karen.

The congregation sang "Great is Thy Faithfulness", and the duet when they lit the unity candle was "I Will Be Here" by Steven Curtis Chapman. Rob's message was perfect -- he even worked in Chris' birthday!

As Rob was about to pronounce them husband and wife, you could see Torrey getting more excited -- she was doing her share of bouncing -- and when he said, "Chris, you may kiss your bride" -- Torrey pumped her arms, YES! -- threw her arms around Chris and gave him a most resounding kiss! Then turned to the congregation -- grinned -- and kissed him again.

Typical Torrey....

She was just a little excited.

Recessional was Mendelssohn's Wedding March -- so perfect for a recessional -- so joyful!

When they came back to dismiss us by rows and I turned to walk back up the aisle arm in arm with Bob -- she grabbed the veil from Bob and popped it on MY head! So I walked up the aisle to much laughter and applause for Torrey's spontaneity.

Quintessential Torrey Beth.

They left the sanctuary in her Snow Princess cloak amidst silk streamers and the pealing of the church bells --

The wedding was perfect. Every bit of it.

1 Comments:

At 12:33 AM, Blogger Kapten Clark said...

I'm crying, too! I feel so silly, but I really have tears streaming down my face.

Evelyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home