Mother of the Bride Spot

Random thoughts on being a Mother of the Bride...although since we are now past The Wedding, perhaps this would be better titled Random Thoughts On Life In General...

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Francais Pour Dummies

I have until next Thursday to learn enough French to ask the following:

1. Where is the bathroom?

2. How much is that?

3. No, no -- too much!!

As you may remember from a previous post, I remember a few very important words from my two years of French at Wheaton College, compliments of Monsieur Kriegbaum (oohh la la!!).

To wit: frommage, haricort vert, vin, and most recently, jambon -- which I can't use in Morocco.

But I'm working on it. I learned a little bit this morning just prior to lecturing to the group here in West Virginia.

"Bonjour, Mesdames. Comment allez vous?"

So far, so good.

Then I wrote to Tim to let him know how I was coming along:

"Bonsoir,mon fils,

Comment allez-vous?

Tres bien, merci. (Even though you didn't ask, I responded anyway, merci tres bien).

Je m'appelle Mama. Je suis de Wheaton des Estas-Unis? Et vous?

Je parle un peu peu peu francais via "Francais pour Dummies."

Bonne journee. A Bientot!!

Je t'aime."

Maybe tomorrow I can find out all the important stuff about bathrooms and how to find out how to haggle. It's a bit tough typing this stuff into the computer because I don't have any of those little gizmos that makes the French language look so alluring and impossible.

I actually took French in college because I wanted to read all those nifty statements by Monsieur Poirot in the Agatha Christie novels.

Now if that isn't a good reason for wasting two years learning a foreign language, nothing is.

5 Comments:

At 6:50 AM, Blogger An Ami in Berlin said...

This is Rebecca and I am going to lend you a hand in asking where the bathroom is:

Ou est les toillettes?
I'm not sure how to say the other two sentences but money = l'argent, and to pay = payer and the price = le pris (at least I think it is) hope this helps...

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger An Ami in Berlin said...

I've just caught up on your blogs. I laughed so hard at the French one. I learned Spanish, thinking I would be able to talk to my best friend Sheri Ogan in Spanish, with no one else really getting it. Well, Sheri was great for last-minute "Help! I didn't learn the vocabulary and how do you pronounce this!" After my second year of Spanish, I asked my teacher if I should sign up for Spanish 3. She was emphatic in her response: "No, please don't! You have NO facility for languages!"

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Grammie Jan said...

Lyn, that is way too funny -- you who speaks fluent English, Dutch, German -- some passable Japanese, and can say, "The wine is yummy" in at least three other languages.

What a hoot!!

Rebecca -- thanks too for the help. I think I'll let Timo do the haggling for me!

Jan

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Torrey, half of the MC said...

You don't want to know what I can say in French. I promise it wouldn't be helpful. :)

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger RCO said...

Jan, vous êtes si drôle. Je souhaite que je pourrais vous entendre parler en français. ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home