Mother of the Bride Spot

Random thoughts on being a Mother of the Bride...although since we are now past The Wedding, perhaps this would be better titled Random Thoughts On Life In General...

Monday, March 19, 2007

Musings of a Missionary Mom

It's completely official. Tim has been accepted as a College Church missionary to North Africa. WOW. He wants to leave in just over two months. We are in the throes of raising support -- and this is just the first step of really totally and completely learning to trust God for his needs. So the question becomes, will he have 100% of his support raised and enough in one-time gifts to be able to start language school in France on June 4?

This morning, when I realized his dream of departure date being just 2 months away, it made me teary. If it comes to fruition, when will we see him again?

When we realized (after his Vision Trip last October/November) where his heart was leaning, I had a discussion with God. I was NOT interested in him going where he wanted to go. Couldn't God change his mind? Couldn't God want him to go to somewhere that was -- oh -- more like home? At least with running water, showers, and a Caribou Coffee nearby? And I told God -- "Hey, this is where you want Tim to go, then YOU will have to change my heart." It was said defiantly...challenging...in a "you better do it, 'cuz I'm not going to try to change...." sort of way.

And God did.

I don't know when it happened, but one day I sat back and realized that I was not only OK with where Tim was headed -- but actually EXCITED!

Am I apprehensive? Yes. Does it make me nervous? Yes. Will I worry? Oh my goodness -- worry is in the Job Description of a Mother. Of course.

But we have an awesome God who can protect Tim in North Africa just as well as he can protect Tim when he's in the good old "safe" U.S of A. And if this God can melt and change my stubborn heart...I know I can trust Him...

..and for that support. He's 45% there.

I've posted this picture before, but I have it pasted to my bookcase because it says volumes to me. My "baby" Tim, confidently striding down the street to kindergarten. Fast forward 17 years and this is a 6'4" Tim, still my "baby" but confidently striding toward all that God has for him to do.

1 Comments:

At 8:04 PM, Blogger Torrey, half of the MC said...

What a cute kid. He makes a wonderful baby brother.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home