Mother of the Bride Spot

Random thoughts on being a Mother of the Bride...although since we are now past The Wedding, perhaps this would be better titled Random Thoughts On Life In General...

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Christmas Number Three -- in Florida

Of course, we were there when the weather here in Chicago was rather nice. Now that it is blustery with frozen roads and 4 to 8 inches of snow predicted for tonight, we are home....

It was a lovely trip. Temps in the 80's. There is something to be said about not having to think about a jacket or coat or slipping on the ice, but I'm certainly not ready to move there. We might have been the only grandparents coming from the North to visit the children and grandbabyboy, however! It did feel just a tad backwards!

Highlights:

Sprint Airlines was on time both ways!!

Jill and Derrick and Deven. Of course!

Seeing where they live now, and the home-to-be.

Overhearing Derrick saying to a worker at the home-to-be: "I just want to show my parents around." Not: Jill's parents, or my in-laws, but My Parents. I still all googly inside when I think about it.

Deven learning that AND is a conjunction. He was so tickled when he figured out that instead of saying, "Hi Grammie. Hi Papa," he could say, "Hi Grammie AND Papa."

Walking into church with Deven holding hands with Bob and me. I've not done that since Tim was little....

Wondering who I would meet that I would have a connection to...at the Naples Zoo (we had been there all of about 45 minutes) when I struck up a conversation with a woman and her son. Turns out he went to Taylor with Tim -- graduated last May with Tim. Had tried to call Tim's friend Wes on New Year's, but Wes was at OUR house!!

Visiting my best-friend-from-Michigan, Diane. I've not seen her since Torrey's wedding, but we've known each other since I taught OB in the school of nursing at Providence and she taught Peds. Our offices were right next to each other. She and her husband Sandy were renting a condo for 6 weeks in Bonita Springs, and had been there just a week. That was an extra special bonus! Their son Hugh was deployed to Iraq last Wednesday. (Hugh is 4 days younger than Jill -- Diane and I had had great romantic plans for them, but children NEVER do what you tell them to!!)

Going to Tigertail Beach at Marco Island. I am SO sorry I didn't get a picture of Deven in a 2 1/2 year old sulk. It was priceless.

Getting back from our long walk around Corkscrew Swamp and finding the doors had been locked already. Apparently we were to be out of the parking lot gates at 5:30, not just getting to the nature center. Hmmmm.....they were nice enough to let us out so we didn't have to spend the night with the alligators.

Seeing the amazing house-to-be. Absolutely gorgeous with 4 bedrooms so there will be someplace for all the northern visitors to stay.

Watching Deven consume seaweed salad at the Thai/Japanese restaurant we went to. He's pretty picky about what he eats, but lobster, crab, seaweed and broccoli top his list of edibles.

Being able to crash in our own little condo that one of the docs Jill works with was gracious enough to LOAN (not rent) to us for our four days.

And last, but not least, already breaking my new year's resolution of No Exercise. We got plenty.

But I'll do better -- I'm home now.

2 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Blogger CuzNuz Ruth said...

I wondered why there weren't new posts - you were too busy having fun! Glad it was a good get away. Love all your pics.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger RCO said...

Sooo cute and what a house!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home